Sunday, 7 August 2011

You Guessed it! Another Rugby Post - The Beauty of Music in Rugby

Ok, I admit that this week I have gone somewhat overboard with my Rugby posts. The truth is, I cannot wait for the World Cup. 

Have you ever been to a Rugby match?

Rugby matches consist of many things; supporting your team, copious amounts of food (and alcohol) but perhaps most liberating of all, singing.
I am a man who loves to sing. My housemates have often been awaken by renditions of Frankie Vallie's "Can't Take My Eyes off You" and "God Save The Queen", poor souls!

The Rugby Anthems enhance the whole experience of a match and have the power to move one to tears. 

Here is a selection of three of my favourite Match-Time Anthems.

This one brings a big smile to my face. Note Tom Jones (Wales' Greatest Son - apparently) struggling through the words to this patriotic Welsh hymn. Bread of Heaven (or Cwm Rhondda to you Welsh speakers out there) is a fantastic song to belt at a Rugby match. It epitomizes the jolly and patriotic character of the Welsh people and I love it!

A friend once dubbed it the Most Inspirational Rugby Anthem in the World. It's solemn and reflective. Flower of Scotland is a profound anthem that the Scots never fail to sing well. It's direct lyrics and simple melody emphasize the importance of Scottish history over all aspects of their culture, including Rugby.


This classical piece of music never fails to move me. In all honesty, I believe it to be the most beautiful melody in the world. Holst's Jupiter has become directly associated with Rugby Union in recent years. This stunning piece of music is the father (or perhaps grandfather) of the official song for the Rugby World Cup, known as World in Union. It is a melody almost all will recognise. The middle-section of Jupiter has become synonymous with Pride, Strength and Courage, the core principles of our nations most beautiful sport.

So here it is, Gutav Holst's Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity.



I favoured the Osaka Orchestra's rendition over the BBC Proms' simply because of the passion and emotion on the conductor's face. Skip to 3:00 for 'Thaxted' (the main melody) However, I recommend listening to the whole piece! :)
Thank you for reading
Ollie

1 comment:

  1. Just grand! Shirley Bassey's version of World in Union in 1999 is a particular favourite of mine!

    ReplyDelete