Tuesday, 17 May 2011

What I Hope to do as the AULD Campaigns Officer...

My first year at University is almost over and what a great year it has been. If any part of student life has occupied my time the most, it has been my membership of the Aberystwyth University Liberal Democrats. 

I feel very honoured to take up a greater role in the society. Unfortunately, the position of Campaigns Officer was uncontested. It would have been great to have more competition for the role, but nonetheless I so look forward to the next year in my new found role.

The Aberystwyth University Liberal Democrats are a phenomenal group of people. Their devotion to the society and the local campaigns is truly admirable. 

I am very exited for the next year! Not only because I will be working with a great group of people, but because I look forward to bringing new and exiting campaigns to the societies attention. 

Those who know me, know that three issues I feel very passionately about are Homelessness, Homophobia and Mental Health.

Homelessness 
I feel our society has the capability to challenge and reconcile some of the issues concerning Homelessness in Aberystwyth and Ceredigion. I find it unimaginable to be living on the street in a hopeless cycle of depression and loneliness. Our society is a group of compassionate and determined people. I am sure if we channel our talents to combating such an issue as Homelessness, we can demonstrate what a caring group of people Welsh Liberal Democrats are. 

Homophobia
Michael Chappell, my good friend and the society's new Social Secretary is admirably passionate about the issue of Homophobia. Like Michael, I feel our society has a duty to challenge Homophobic bullying. To me it does not make sense to determine someones character simply on the basis of their sexual orientation. One of my siblings is gay and he was consistently strong in the face of Homophobic bullying. However, many people are not as strong as my brother Tom and I look forward to our society establishing how they will do their part to prevent Homophobic bullying in the future.

Mental Health


There is a lot of division concerning the issue of Mental Health. Many people are less sympathetic on such issues. However, the stigma that surrounds mental health is something that needs addressing. Liberal Democrats have a long history of defending those with Mental Health issues and I hope that our society will help to continue this tradition.

The Aberystwyth University Lib Dems are a welcoming, caring and amazing society to be a part of. I hope in the next year our brilliant executive will work hard for Liberal Democrat causes and to improve life in Ceredigion.

No comments:

Post a Comment