Friday, 12 November 2010

My Desert Island Discs - Blog idea courtesy of Mark Cole

Like all beings, I like to imagine what life would be like in a secluded, yet beautiful place - a Desert island to be precise. That classic image of palm trees waving in the cool breeze and waves rhythmically beating the golden sandy beach is to me, paradise. The only thing missing is the worlds greatest music. So, lo and behold my very own Desert Island Discs.


Lets start at number one then (that would seem a good place to begin):




First of all, a bit of Bill Withers. Not the conventional 'Lean on Me' or '
Aint no Sunshine'. His version of this Beatles song is definitely worth a listen. It's very different to the somewhat downbeat original, in fact it's much more uplifting.

Bill Withers - Let it Be

Who doesn't love this song? It's upbeat, cheery and it's the Beach Boys. This one always brings a smile to my face. When I'm feeling a bit sullen on my Desert Island I think it would remind me of my friends back home. However, don't think I'd be saddened. This song would make the Desert Island experience all the more enjoyable :)
 

The Beach Boys - Barbara Ann

Whenever I listen to the programme on Radio 4, the interviewee always chooses a piece of Classical music. Well, I do have a favourite piece. I think it's the crescendo which makes it so powerful. I can imagine huddling in a dark cave on a stormy night and this song rolling around in my head.

Tchaikovsky's - Swan Lake Ballet

Perhaps a rarity in my music repertoire, but a very modern song now. This track is always a good one for cheering me up. I feel this song would be great for those somewhat gloomy island days where maybe i didn't catch a fish or a wild boar. It has that 'Three Little Birds' effect for me - don't worry about a thing :)

Paolo Nutini - High Hopes


This is truly a classic. The first time I head this song was 3 weeks ago. However, I loved it straight away. The strong, stained and stunning vocals emphasize the plight of a young man. It shows how troublesome life can be. However, It's quite uplifting. It's about making a difference, and i think, about becoming a man. This song would remind me of my dad.

Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna' Come

Now, I've always been a big fan of Bobby Darin, so choosing only one of his songs was very difficult for me, but I came to a conclusion. Now, Island theme - you may think I chose 'Beyond the Sea', or maybe 'If I were a Carpenter'. Nope, It's got to be his alternate version to Simon & Garfunkel's classic. It's a song that most people love, however this version is very understated. Darin's incorporation of Soul and R&B into the mix (as well as the mouth organ) make it a distinctive and powerful cover of a beautiful song.
 

Bobby Darin - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Surprisingly enough, I'm not Scottish. However, I feel this song is so well renowned across the United Kingdom that it's not only a symbol of Highland pride, but of British musicality collectively. I often find myself humming this tune as I walk from my home to the Seafront. It's a song that fits a long adventure or journey. It's an uplifting tune I can imagine listening to as I sit on the beach, with my coconut milk, watching the sun go down. Who better to sing it than my favourite singer, Paul Robeson.



Paul Robeson - Loch Lomond  

Ahh now to my final choice. This is quite clearly my favourite song. The lyrics make me think of what the 1960s must have been like. The will for freedom prevailing over the oppressive chains that bound people to their race, gender, sexual orientation - it represents the need for a wider tolerance and understanding. It's a song that would encourage me to build a raft, to build a hut and to soar up to the sun. It's my Island song.

John Denver - I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free


Now, I know I'm given a bible for my Island stay. In fact this probably would make interesting reading. However, I think I will ask to take the 
Encyclopedia Britannica. There's always something knew to learn about the world.


And finally, If i had to take one disc with me I think it would have to 'Loch 
Lomond - Paul Robeson'



Thanks for reading this blog and I hoped you liked the music

Ollie

2 comments:

  1. Bill Withers is hugely underrated as a singer but is also the subject one of the greatest bad jokes of all time....

    How do you know if your pet duck is a Soul Singer?

    Put it in the microwave until its Bill Withers.......

    ReplyDelete